Single Pitch Leading
Lead sport and traditional routes
This is the course that introduces you to the world of lead climbing! The ideal next step from our Rock Climbing Part 1 and Part 2 courses. On this course, we focus on learning the skills to begin leading sport and traditionally protected rock climbs through a series of lessons tailored to the abilities of each student.
Beginning to lead bolted and traditional type rock climbs can be a daunting task. Many epic stories are told around campfires about a climber’s first days leading pitches of rock. Without careful instruction and coaching, leading can become a rather dangerous task for aspiring climbers. On this course, you will gain valuable insight with lots of 1 on 1 instructor feedback throughout the day.
Climbers with 5.6 top-rope climbing ability, who understand how to place traditional gear, rappel, build top-rope anchors, and also who may have already lead a few climbs (not required) are perfect candidates for this course. During the course we start by running through a review of gear placement, then use mock lead climbing scenarios, and use instructor fixed lines to climb alongside each student for coaching. We stress that each student on this course progress as far as they feel comfortable each day, without pressure to embark on lead until they are ready. Add a 3rd day to this course to practice skills and swap leads on an appropriate climb with your instructor!
Possible Learning Outcomes
- Equipment selection
- Gear placement for leading
- Belay anchors
- Hazard management
- Basic rescue
- Rope management and techniques
- Fixed gear evaluation (bolts, pins, natural, fixed)
- Experience level: Rock Climbing Part 1 and Part 2 courses or equivalent, 5.6 top-rope ability, gear placement experience, basic knots, and rappelling.
- Length of trip: 2 days, with the option to add a 3rd day to this course for more practice and to swap leads on appropriate climbs with your instructor!
- When and Where: We operate year round from our base in Prescott, Arizona and many other southwest destinations. Schedule a group course or private dates by using our sign up link.
- Participant maximum: 4:1 student to instructor ratio (2:1 for 3rd day option)
- Pricing: Starts at $315 per person for 2 days, assuming a minimum participation of 2 people.