Self Rescue for Climbers
Real life scenarios and first aid practice
Things just happen out there. It is important to be skilled with self-rescue techniques in order to be prepared for the unexpected incident. No matter how serious a scenario, our 2 day course gives students the ability to respond effectively to just about any problem.
Rock rescue techniques come in handy in many situations because often it is not just a serious injury or accident that we must respond to. Most often a climber must simply have the ability to foresee a problem situation and mitigate those hazards before something larger happens. Our course will first focus on problem avoidance, and simple solutions to common problems before using complicated systems.
Additionally, our rock rescue course includes the foundational technical systems involved in most rescues. We use hands on scenarios to practice our skills so that students will leave our course knowing what an actual rescue might require. First aid is also practiced on this course, as the reality is, that we do not often take time to practice these skills. All of our courses include assigned reading, handouts, outlines, diagrams, and much more to compliment each lesson.
Possible Learning Outcomes
- Common problems and risk management
- Equipment selection for rescue
- Releasing an ATC guide/Reverso
- Load Transfers
- Counterbalance/tandem rappel
- Raising systems
- First Aid
- Rope ascension
- Knots and hitches
- Experience level: Must be competent at belaying, rappelling, knot tying (figure 8, munter, clove, friction hitches), have some anchor building experience, and can top-rope 5.6 climbs.
- Length of trip: 2 days - if you have taken a rescue course before and would like to refresh your skills, you may also schedule a private course or take either one day of our group course.
- When and Where: We operate year round from our base in Prescott, Arizona and many other southwest destinations. Schedule a group course or private dates by using our sign up link.
- Participant maximum: 6:1 student to instructor maximum
- Pricing: Starts at $315 per person for 2 days, assuming a minimum participation of 2 people.