Multi-pitch Lead Climbing
Learn to lead long routes efficiently
Our multi-pitch rock course is designed for established or new multi-pitch climbers. This 2 day class with an optional 3rd day looks at a multitude of techniques to get you started moving upwards with confidence. When casting off onto multi-pitch terrain a new set of skills becomes important to efficient and safe completion of a route. Many of these techniques are the very same that a climbing guide might use during a day out in the office.
Our course starts off by looking at your lead climbing and what you can do to be more efficient on lead. Then we review belay anchors, belay methods, and roping techniques that are used in multi-pitch climbing. During the course we also review protection systems and look at how to effectively protect followers, and obstacles in the multi-pitch setting. Some other important topics we cover include rappelling, belay transitions, simul-climbing, self-rescue, and many others. This course is a must-do for those wanting to climb bigger routes with more efficient style. We also recommend this trip as an update for those who may have learned to climb years ago and want more skills to add to the repertoire.
Possible Learning Outcomes
- Equipment selection for multi-pitch
- Belaying (various devices, simul-belay, etc.)
- Rappelling techniques
- Station management and rope techniques
- Dealing with obstacles and challenges (traverses, rope drag, the follower etc.)
- Transitions - swapping the lead FAST
- Route finding and hazard recognition
- Anchoring considerations
- Experience level: Our Single Pitch Lead Climbing course or equivalent experience, personal traditional lead climbing experience to at least 5.6, rappelling experience.
- Length of trip: 2 days, with an option for a 3rd day to this course for more practice and to swap leads on a big multi-pitch climb with your instructor!
- When and Where: We operate year round from our base in Prescott, Arizona and many other southwest destinations. Schedule a group course or private dates by using our sign up link.
- Participant maximum: $315 per person for 2 days, assuming a minimum participation of 2 people.